Sunday, December 28, 2008

I Believe!


I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth. And in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord………………………


I believe in prayer……………….


I believe in family.……………….


Do I believe in Santa Claus? I believe in the love and generosity of people. I believe that the true measure of giving is to give anonymously. So, yes, I believe in Santa. I also recognize that without the love of Jesus Christ, there would be no spirit of giving and consequently no “Santa”.

This Christmas saw the end of a long time tradition and the beginning of a new one. You see every year since my birth, I have spent Christmas morning with my parents, my brother, and as our family grew, my children, niece, grandchildren, and great-nephew (and all the spouses along the way). This was the first year ever my whole family wasn’t gathered for breakfast on Christmas morning. I would be telling less than the truth if I said I wasn’t affected by the absence of part of my family. But I’m so thankful that I had yet one more Christmas breakfast with both my parents and most of our family. And that the family who was absent on that morning were safe in their new home starting a new tradition. Christmas morning at my house was still exciting and I shared a a great time of giving and receiving with family. The season was extended a bit through the weekend when I got to share and celebrate with the rest of the family.


This has been an emotional year. Phillip and I had our well-known accident, Chris and Michael lost their birth father, and I had another surgery in November. Our country’s economy is the worst ever in my life time causing loss of jobs, failure of banks and businesses, and an overall ‘fear’ amongst the people. I’ve had moments of extremely high faith and times when I have struggled, wondering why? But, by the grace of God, my faith still pulls me through. I am reminded the important thing is health and happiness for all of us.


The year was not all about struggle and sadness. Phillip and I had a great vacation in July with friends from both near and far. Michael accepted a job change which has put him in a successful and happy work environment. He, Jessica, and Reed have settled in a beautiful home on top of Signal Mountain and are expecting the addition of Molly Ruth in the spring. Despite the great disappointment of losing a dad they never really had, Chris and Michael have a renewed vow to be the best Dad they can be to their children (as they are). Chris and Regina continue to be successful in their chosen careers and Kaelyn has finished the first half of her Kindergarten year quite impressively. She has such a desire to learn. Whenever we ride in the car, she just wants me to give her math, spelling, or phonics quizzes. Caleb continues to be the most loving little boy in the world and always brings a smile to my heart.


The little ones are growing up so fast and I am so proud to be their Gramma. It isn’t always easy to be Gramma, especially when your advice is not desired. I remember when Kaelyn was first born. Settling in to that position of Gramma was sometimes difficult until I had a heart to heart with Regina one day. She has mentioned this again to me recently. She remembers the day I told her, I understood my place. She was the mom and ultimately the one making decisions. I only wanted to be allowed to love, show them off, and help in the care. She shared that it was on that day she realized, that grandparents and great-grandparents are there to help, not someone to resist. We weren’t trying to control or take her role, just help, offering advice gained from experience. After all, I must have done something right, she did choose and marry a son I raised. Now my challenge is learning how to be a good long distance Gramma. I am still struggling a bit to find my place. I’m having to learn a whole new way of being Gramma which doesn’t come so naturally to me. But I do know that I love Reed with all of my heart and as long as what I do is done with love and good intentions, it will be okay in the end. So as a close, I have borrowed a segment from a prayer written by Deborah A. Pringle and is entitled, “Grammie’s Prayer”.


Dear Lord I Pray: That each Grandparent be a nurturing role model, that each Grandparent be able to share their life experiences in a way that will have a positive effect on their grandchildren, that each grandparent find the time and energy to connect with their grandchild, that each grandparent possess patience, understanding and kindness for their grandchildren, that each grandparent have the wisdom to know when to intervene and when to let the parents handle the rearing of their grandchild, that each grandparent respect their children's wishes where their grandchild is concerned, that each grandparent be able to provide a safe haven for their grandchild whenever necessary, that each grandparent be blessed with a long healthy life, allowing them to guide their grandchildren on the right path to adulthood, as You My Lord have shown them.


Amen and Amen.

No comments: