Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Let us rejoice and be glad in it!

“This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it.” (New American Standard Bible- Psalm 188:24

Tomorrow marks the beginning of a new year. A year, that promises to be full of change. One of the first events of the year will be the collection of activities which revolve around the swearing in of the 44th President of the United States of America. This year’s Inauguration is known to be one of the most open and accessible in history. The theme for this Inauguration is “Renewing America’s Promise”. President-elect Barack Obama claims a moment in history as not only being elected president, but the first African-American president of the United States. I’ve had some very mixed emotions about Mr. Obama, as the media is full of articles indicating controversial (my opinion) voting. I have heard of many people who did not vote for Obama due to his race and of others who did vote for him based on his race. I personally believe neither of these is a valid reason for casting a vote. I’ve also heard rumors indicating he could be the anti-Christ based on his Muslim association. Putting all of this aside, I will support and respect him unless he does something to indicate I should not. I’m sure I will not agree with many of his decisions (nothing different than any other president), but I will give him my support, starting with the greatest and most powerful support I can give, which is prayer. I am pleased to see that the inaugural ceremony still begins with an Invocation and ends with a Benediction. I know some of the older people in our lives have seen very difficult times in their lifetime, but for most of us this is the worst we have ever seen for our nation. So for not only President Obama, but for all of our political representatives, and for every citizen, I pray for peace, health, and prosperity. And a special prayer for our military, who disrupt the lives of themselves and their families, to give us the freedoms we enjoy. So lift your glasses for a toast for a great year ahead. Please be safe and responsible as you celebrate the arrival of the New Year. God bless you all!

No comments: